Vorarlberg’s most variety-rich area for ski touring extends from the Bregenzerwald via the Rätikon to the Arlberg and up to the peaks of the Silvretta. The choice of fantastic tours is enormous: from gentle foothills to high-Alpine glacier tours in the Silvretta, known far and wide for quality skiing. Though no longer an insider’s tip, this versatile and snow-secure winter paradise located between Lake Constance and Silvretta, which features Vorarlberg’s highest peak the Piz Buin, is far from overcrowded. Even when conditions are optimal, it’s not uncommon to have the entire trail to yourself.
Another advantage: There’s no need to spend too much time looking forward to winter in Vorarlberg. In the Bregenzerwald, the ski touring season starts shortly after the first big snow storm of the early winter on the grassy mountains. Just like in the Laternsertal valley and in the Großes Walsertal. There is usually plenty of snow to go around. After all, Damüls has been called “the world’s snowiest village”. Hochälpelekopf, Lug and Gerenfalben are among the region’s most popular destinations – ideal for beginners and connoisseurs. As soon as winter really begins, popular peaks like the Toblermannskopf and the Winterstaude, as well as more demanding ones like the Kanisfluh, are on the agenda. Towards spring, the rush shifts to the higher and more Alpine destinations located in the upper Bregenzerwald, in Montafon and at the Arlberg. On the wish list are classics like the Großer Drusenturm Madrisa tour or the Kaltenberg mountain. For the season finale, the 3000-metre peaks of the Silvretta still often feature the best powder on the north side as well as spring ‘Firn’ snow. Over the course of half a year, those who start early in December with the first snow can tick ski tours off their winter wish list until May, discovering the variety that ski touring in Vorarlberg has to offer.
The following must always be observed on ski tours:
- Plan your ski tour carefully at home
- Pay attention to the weather, snow and avalanche report
- The correct avalanche equipment (avalanche transceiver, avalanche shovel & first aid kit) and a mobile phone must be carried
- Respect boundaries for the benefit of wildlife: Stay out of protect areas
Better ride with a guide:
- The free Vorarlberg “Urlaub und Freizeit” App (German only) is a practical companion for planning and on the go.
- Ski touring: Tips & offers in Vorarlberg
- Ski touring in Kleinwalsertal
- Ski touring in Brandnertal, Klostertal, Großes Walsertal
- Ski touring Bregenzerwald
- Ski touring in Montafon
- Ski touring in Lech Zürs am Arlberg