Vorarlberg’s top chefs rely on creativity in the kitchen and, whenever possible, the use of regional ingredients. They enjoy sharing their philosophy and introducing others to their culinary arts during cooking courses.
The courses and workshops take place mainly for small groups on request. More information and any public dates can be found on the providers’ websites.
- The cooking course series offered by Karin Kaufmann focuses on regional and seasonal specialties, prepared according to old recipes with contemporary updates. To host her cooking courses, Karin Kaufmann has lovingly restored the Gasthaus Engel inn in Egg and transformed it into a cooking school. Numerous courses are on the programme each and every month. Karin Kaufmann’s first cook book, entitled “Frau Kaufmann kocht,” has been published by AT Verlag in autumn 2019.
www.fraukaufmann.at (in German)
- At the Kräuterwerkstatt Lech, you can peak over the shoulder of Thorsten Probost, who is the first chef at the Arlberg to be awarded 3 Toques from Gault&Millau. “Nature is the architect of my cuisine,” he says. For this reason, he exclusively uses locally sourced ingredients. His courses are bookable between May and November for up to six participants. All appointments arranged on demand.
www.kraeuterwerkstatt-lech.at (in German)
- Cooking courses at given dates or by requestare organised by Andrea Milstein from Essküche Götzis (from 10 persons).
www.esskueche.com (in German)
- At the Kochmeisterei in Hohenems, Mike P. Pansi and his team offer various cooking courses. Cooking together and enjoying the culinary delights is the motto.
www.pansis.at (in German)
- Organic farmer Agathe cooks in the experience kitchen of the organic farm Lingenhel in Doren with regional and seasonal products, mainly from own production. Simply authentic and with passion. She also offers cooking courses or cooking evenings on various topics and gives course participants useful tips and tricks for cooking at home.
www.biohof-lingenhel.at (in German)
- Various cooking experience courses with an emphasis on regionality and seasonality are organised by the Bitschnau family in Montafon. The cours offer has a range from a lamb cooking course with Montafon stone sheep to a Käsknöpfle-course and a sociable cooking evening for women’s or men’s groups. In the new premises “Verner’s 2020” in Bartholomäberg, participants meet to cook and enjoy together.
www.steinschaf.com (in German)
- mizzi cooks! Denise Amann offers various cooking courses at mizzigreen in Frastanz. The course participants prepare a 5-course menu together, which is then enjoyed with a wine pairing.
www.mizzitant.at (in German)
- During the summer months, “Kässpätzle” cooking courses are offered at the Kriegeralpe in Lech. Participants learn how to cook the typical Vorarlberg specialty and enjoy it afterwards at the Kriegeralpe. The cooking course takes place on request from a minimum of 10 people. The cost is € 18,- per person.
- The Insect Culinary Cooking Workshop of Luculla culinaria offers the possibility to taste grasshoppers, crickets, mealworms or buffalo worms and to prepare enjoyable recipes with these innovative ingredients. The instructor Anja Sieghartsleitner has intensively dealt with the topic of insects as food in her master’s degree in Food and Drink Innovation and has become a passionate insect eater herself. She passes on her extensive knowledge and recipes in her cooking workshops.
www.luculla-culinaria.com (in German)
Cooking course with overnight stay
- Award-winning chef Valentine Bargehr of the Gasthof Rössle inn in Braz, Klostertal, who has received a Toque from Gault&Millau, will help you prepare regional and seasonal dishes during his new “Cooking with Friends” class. Participants will gather around the table and talk shop at the stove top in the early afternoon, while Valentin Bargehr demonstrates how to prepare the cuisine step by step. In the evening, participants will enjoy the menu together. Overnight accommodation in a double room incl. breakfast, the cooking course with recipe folder, an aperitif, the 5-course menu with wine and a take-home souvenir are all included! The package, which is bookable on Thursdays or Fridays, costs EUR 250 per person. www.roesslebraz.at (in German)
- The cooks, Michael and Franziska, from the Schwanen Biohotel in Bizau, Bregenzerwald are proud to offer a 2-day “Wilde Weiber” cooking course once per year. The course features grandma’s recipes, spelt bread baking, and meals prepared according to Hildegard von Bingen’s principals. Naturally, recipes are prepared exclusively with certified and seasonal organic ingredients.
www.biohotel-schwanen.com (in German)
- The Hotel Gotthard in Lech am Arlberg offers 2-day courses with different focuses. From classic cooking courses, herbal courses and bread baking to beer brewing, there is something for every taste. Depending on the topic, the courses are led by different experts. www.gotthard.at (in German)
“My wife is happiest with dough and flour!” says Reinhard Burtscher, speaking of his wife, Pauline
- In Ludesch near Bludenz, Pauline Burtscher offers bread-baking courses at her Paulinarium. Bread is baked in a wood oven at her own bread bakery at a 350-year old farm. Participation in the 3.5-hour courses costs from EUR 70 per person including snack, self-made bread and a recipe booklet. Please note: The courses are very popular. Please book early.
www.paulinarium.at (in German)
- Jürgen and his baking team offer various bread baking courses in Hittisau, which encourage you to bake bread at home. The cost of participation in the 3-hour courses is about € 38 per person – food, recipe booklet and homemade bread are included.
www.bregenzerwaelder.at (in German)
- Organic cookies baked in the Vorarlberg Alps. Sabine and Xaver bake since October 2020 in their newly remodeled organic cookie manufactory in Raggal at 1000m altitude in the UNESCO Biosphärenpark Großes Walsertal. The organic cookies contain only organic ingredients.
From mid-July to mid-August, Sabine and Xaver also offer cookie workshops in their manufactory. The workshops take place on Mondays from 4 to 6 pm in small groups, enrolment in advance necessary.
www.sabineundxaver-gourmet-manufaktur.com (in German)
Make your own chocolate:
- Sweet-toothed participants will learn how chocolate or pralines are made from high-quality ingredients from chocolatière Martina of the Xocolat Manufaktur in Bregenz. The workshops, which always include a substantial confectionery tasting, take about 3 hours and are extremely popular and regularly booked out. Small wonder considering that the courses make the perfect gift! The basic workshop costs EUR 85 and includes a recipe book, invigorating sparkling wine, as well as self-made delicacies.
www.xocolat-bregenz.at (in German)