Vorarlberg’s top chefs rely on creativity in the kitchen and, whenever possible, the use of regional ingredients. They enjoy sharing their philosophy and introducing others to their culinary arts during cooking courses.
The courses and workshops take place mainly for small groups on request. More information and any public dates can be found on the providers’ websites.
- The cooking course series offered by Karin Kaufmann focuses on regional and seasonal specialties, prepared according to old recipes with contemporary updates. To host her cooking courses, Karin Kaufmann has lovingly restored the Gasthaus Engel inn in Egg and transformed it into a cooking school. Numerous courses are on the programme each and every month. Karin Kaufmann’s recipes can be found in her cookbook “Frau Kaufmann kocht”.
www.fraukaufmann.at (in German)
- At the Kräuterwerkstatt Lech, you can peak over the shoulder of Thorsten Probost, who is the first chef at the Arlberg to be awarded 3 Toques from Gault&Millau. “Nature is the architect of my cuisine,” he says. For this reason, he exclusively uses locally sourced ingredients. His courses are bookable between May and November for up to six participants. All appointments arranged on demand.
www.kraeuterwerkstatt-lech.at (in German)
- In the Essküche Götzis Sandra Wandl offers cooking and baking courses for groups. You cook togehter in a cozy atmosphere. Complex but not complicated is the motto.
www.esskueche.com (in German)
- At the Kochmeisterei in Hohenems, Mike P. Pansi and his team offer various cooking courses upon request. Cooking together and enjoying the culinary delights is the motto.
www.pansis.at (in German)
- Organic farmer Agathe cooks in the experience kitchen of the organic farm Lingenhel in Doren with regional and seasonal products, mainly from own production. Simply authentic and with passion. She also offers cooking courses or cooking evenings on various topics and gives course participants useful tips and tricks for cooking at home.
www.biohof-lingenhel.at (in German)
- An individual cooking experience course for friends with an emphasis on regionality and seasonality is organised by the Bitschnau family in Montafon upon request. A 5-course menu made from fresh ingredients is accompanied by homemade beer and selected wines. In the new premises “Verner’s 2020” in Bartholomäberg, participants meet to cook and enjoy together.
www.steinschaf.com (in German)
- During the summer months, “Kässpätzle” cooking courses are offered at the Kriegeralpe in Lech. Participants learn how to cook the typical Vorarlberg specialty and enjoy it afterwards at the Kriegeralpe. The cooking course takes place on request from a minimum of 10 people. The cost is € 18,- per person.
- The Insect Culinary Cooking Workshop of Luculla culinaria offers the possibility to taste grasshoppers, crickets, mealworms or buffalo worms and to prepare enjoyable recipes with these innovative ingredients. The instructor Anja Sieghartsleitner has intensively dealt with the topic of insects as food in her master’s degree in Food and Drink Innovation and has become a passionate insect eater herself. She passes on her extensive knowledge and recipes in her cooking workshops.
www.luculla-culinaria.com (in German)
Cooking course with overnight stay
- Award-winning chef Valentine Bargehr of the Gasthof Rössle inn in Braz, Klostertal, who has received a Toque from Gault&Millau, will help you prepare regional and seasonal dishes during his new “Cooking with Friends” class. Participants will gather around the table and talk shop at the stove top in the early afternoon, while Valentin Bargehr demonstrates how to prepare the cuisine step by step. In the evening, participants will enjoy the menu together. Overnight accommodation in a double room incl. breakfast, the cooking course with recipe folder, an aperitif, the 5-course menu with wine and a take-home souvenir are all included! The package, which is bookable on Thursdays or Fridays, costs EUR 250 per person. www.roesslebraz.at (in German)
- Franziska and her team from the Schwanen Biohotel in Bizau, Bregenzerwald are proud to offer a 2-day “Wilde Weiber” cooking course once per year. The course features grandma’s recipes, spelt bread baking, and meals prepared according to Hildegard von Bingen’s principals. Naturally, recipes are prepared exclusively with certified and seasonal organic ingredients.
www.biohotel-schwanen.com (in German)
“My wife is happiest with dough and flour!” says Reinhard Burtscher, speaking of his wife, Pauline
- In Ludesch near Bludenz, Pauline Burtscher offers bread-baking courses at her Paulinarium. Bread is baked in a wood oven at her own bread bakery at a 350-year old farm. Please book early.
www.paulinarium.at (in German)
- Jürgen and his baking team offer various bread baking courses in Hittisau, which encourage you to bake bread at home. The cost of participation in the 3-hour courses is about € 42 per person – food, recipe booklet and homemade bread are included.
www.bregenzerwaelder.at (in German)
- Organic cookies baked in the Vorarlberg Alps. Sabine and Xaver bake since October 2020 in their newly remodeled organic cookie manufactory in Raggal at 1000m altitude in the UNESCO Biosphärenpark Großes Walsertal. The organic cookies contain only organic ingredients.
From mid-July to mid-August, Sabine and Xaver also offer cookie workshops in their manufactory. The workshops take place on Mondays from 4 to 6 pm in small groups, enrolment in advance necessary.
www.sabineundxaver-gourmet-manufaktur.com (in German)
- In the bread baking courses of Sandra Wandl in the Essküche Götzis, various rolls and sourdough breads are baked. In the 3-hour courses, helpful tips and tricks are shared so that the bread also succeeds at home.
www.brotmanufaktur.at (in German)
Make your own chocolate:
- Sweet-toothed participants will learn how chocolate or pralines are made from high-quality ingredients from chocolatière Martina of the Xocolat Manufaktur in Bregenz. The workshops, which always include a substantial confectionery tasting, take about 3 hours and are extremely popular and regularly booked out. Small wonder considering that the courses make the perfect gift! The basic workshop costs EUR 95 and includes a recipe book, invigorating sparkling wine, as well as self-made delicacies.
www.xocolat-bregenz.at (in German)