The Vorarlberg round trip
From Lake Constance to the mountains
Vorarlberg is where the Eastern Alps meet the Western Alps and where the European watershed between the Black Sea and the Atlantic runs along the Arlberg. These connecting and dividing aspects are what give the scenery its particular appeal. There are striking transitions happening across the landscape, from the gentle slopes of the north to the impressive mountains of the south and east. This day trip takes you from Lake Constance to the Vorarlberg Rheintal valley, the Walgau valley and the Klostertal before heading up to the legendary Arlberg to Lech, crossing the Hochtannberg and returning to Bregenzerwald. The ride on the Arlbergbahn train through the Klostertal valley and the bus trip along the Flexenstrasse and Hochtannbergstrasse roads from Langen am Arlberg to Lech, Warth and Schröcken are especially memorable experiences.
- This day trip starts and finishes in any one of the towns of the Rheintal valley: Bregenz, Dornbirn, Hohenems or Feldkirch. You can do this hop-on-hop-off Vorarlberg round trip between 4 June and 2 October!
- The day trip combines the railway connection to Langen am Arlberg with the following Landbus routes: 91 (Langen a. A. – Lech), 40a (Lech – Warth-Schröcken – Schoppernau), 40 (Schoppernau – Bezau – Andelsbuch – Egg – Dornbirn), 37 (Schoppernau – Bezau – Andelsbuch – Egg – Achraintunnel – Wolfurt – Bregenz). All bus routes and the train between Bregenz and Langen a. A. depart every hour during the day. This gives you plenty of time for discovery in the places recommended here. All departure times listed here (2022 schedules) are suggestions. They are valid every day from Monday to Friday. On weekends, departure times may change slightly.
- The cleVVVer mobil app for Android and iPhone, offered by the Verkehrsverbund Vorarlberg (Vorarlberg Transport Association), is the perfect companion for your trip. See the end of this page for information on downloading it.
- All recommended excursions and walks begin very close to the bus stops mentioned. You can spend more or less time in each destination, depending on your own preferences.
- Cost: you require a Verkehrsverbund Vorarlberg (Vorarlberg Transport Association) day ticket for the hop-on-hop-off round trip of Vorarlberg. This ticket costs €15.70 (children under 6 ride for free, children between 6 and 14 pay half, tariffs valid as of 2022).