Dazzling nature and inspiring culture, charming traditions and foodies’ delights – whoever has discovered the appeal of Vorarlberg is bound to return. Austria’s westernmost province is now gearing up for an unusual winter: The Winterkodex Vorarlberg joins forces and measures so that guests can spend carefree and, most importantly, safe holidays.
Vorarlberg acts in concert
In a joint effort, the state of Vorarlberg and its tourism stakeholders have drawn up a comprehensive strategy for winter. The Winterkodex Vorarlberg is to offer high-level safety to all guests with a dovetailed concept. They should feel in good hands, no matter where: at their hotel or inn, in lifts or gondolas, or when discovering their holiday region.
Strong destinations – safe businesses – healthy guests
The Winterkodex Vorarlberg is built on three pillars: strong destinations, safe businesses, and healthy guests. The policies which have been elaborated are uniform for all of Vorarlberg, they go beyond what is required by law, and are geared to visitors’ movements at their destinations.
Three-level implementation of the Winterkodex Vorarlberg:
- through regulations as spearhead and most powerful tool, wherever possible;
- through a self-commitment by the sector which goes beyond the statutory requirements;
- through supporting measures which lend added strength to the foundation (e.g. COVID-19 cancellation insurance for guests, or the state-wide digital contract tracing solution).
The pillars of the Winterkodex Vorarlberg
Booking without worries – Covid-19 cancellation insurance for guests
You can book your winter holidays in Vorarlberg without having to worry. Many accommodations in Vorarlberg have already revised their cancellation policy. Together with the free corona travel insurance offered by the State of Vorarlberg, this ensures a high degree of safety for every booking.
Winter companion – Contact tracing
Inns and restaurants must record contact data, so that, if and when necessary, the infection chain can be traced and broken quickly. Easy and simple, a digital guestbook accompanies guests, staff and locals through winter – all that is needed is a QR scan.
Quality assurance – Covid-19 officers at all businesses
Tourist businesses – accommodations, inns and restaurants, lifts and cable cars, ski schools and tourist organisations – must appoint a Covid-19 officer. The Covid-19 officer is to make sure that the prescribed prevention and hygiene concept is implemented, and at the same time acts as contact for guests, staff members and the authorities.
Testing for guests
Wherever you are staying, you will be able to check your body temperature at all times, contactless and free of charge. During the entire winter season, we also provide easy-to-access PCR testing facilities in all winter sports regions (subject to a fee).
The Winterkodex Vorarlberg at a glance
- Covid-19 officer for quality control and as contact for guests, staff members and authorities
- Development and implementation of a prevention and hygiene plan
- Pre-season training of staff on safety and hygiene rules
- Sample-based monitoring of businesses and provision of advice by external safety companies
- Consistent testing of hotel staff: PCR test before they first start service – weekly tests – daily temperature measurements before the start service
- Free PCR test programmes have been expanded to the following sectors: B&Bs, inns and restaurants, camping, youth hostels, ski tutors and mountain guides
- Funded initial testing of staff members of lifts and cable cars, sports retailers and taxi companies at the beginning of the season in the destinations
- Recording of contact data within businesses (contact tracing).
- Contact tracing
- PCR testing possible at the destination and or in the region (subject to a fee)
- Contactless temperature measurement directly at the accommodation
- Mandatory wearing of mouth-nose cover
- Joint-effort implementation of the package for a successful winter season
- Free corona cancellation insurance – ideally in combination with a less strict cancellation policy by accommodations – throughout the entire winter season
- Waste-water monitoring as a corona early-warning system in holiday destinations
- Tourism task force composed of state policy-makers, representatives of the tourist industry, the authorities and health-care experts at state level, and corona task forces in the destinations ensure a coordinated approach all across Vorarlberg.