This trip takes you from the north of the country with its Mediterranean flair to the highest mountains in southern Vorarlberg. From the shores of Lake Constance, you will spend two hours ascending to the Bielerhöhe Pass. Located in the high peaks of the Silvretta Alps at an altitude of 2,030 metres, the pass is surrounded by glaciers rising to more than 3,000 metres. The highlights of this day trip are the bus ride along the Silvretta Hochalpenstraße High Alpine Road, one of the most picturesque routes in the Alps. It runs for 22.3 km from Partenen in the Montafon valley (1,051 metres) to the Bielerhöhe Pass at 2,032 metres above sea level, making 34 hairpin bends before taking you to Galtür in the Paznauntal valley. In fair conditions, you will be able to see the mighty Piz Buin (3,312 metres), the highest peak in Vorarlberg, during the easy three-hour hike around the Silvrettasee lake.
- This day trip starts and finishes in any one of the towns of the Rheintal valley: Bregenz, Dornbirn, Hohenems or Feldkirch. You can do this trip between 16 June and 2 October!
- For the day trip, we recommend taking the train from Bregenz to Schruns (Montafon) via Dornbirn, Hohenems, Feldkirch and Bludenz, then changing to Landbus no 85 (Schruns – St.Gallenkirch – Gaschurn-Partenen – Bielerhöhe Pass). All departure times listed here (2022 schedules) are suggestions. They are valid every day.
- The cleVVVer mobil app for Android and iPhone, offered by the Verkehrsverbund Vorarlberg (Vorarlberg Transport Association), is the perfect companion for your trip. See the end of this page for information on downloading it.
- The suggested hike begins very close to the bus stop mentioned above. We recommend that you take hiking gear and ankle-high hiking boots for your walk around the Silvrettasee lake.
- Cost: you require a Verkehrsverbund Vorarlberg (Vorarlberg Transport Association) day ticket for the hop-on-hop-off round trip. This ticket costs €15.70 (children under 6 ride for free, children between 6 and 14 pay half, tariffs valid as of 2022). The Silvretta Hochalpenstraße High Alpine Road is a toll road. This adds a €4.50 toll (as of 2022) to the cost of your day ticket.