This trip takes you to one of Austria’s loveliest beauty spots. In 2019, viewers of the final episode of the Austrian TV show ‘9 Plätze – 9 Schätze’ (9 places, 9 treasures) voted the Lünersee lake the most beautiful place in Austria. Lünersee lake lies at 1970 metres above sea, at the head of the Brandnertal valley. It is considered the turquoise gem of the Rätikon mountains. Once the largest natural mountain lake of the eastern Alps, it is now one of the largest reservoirs in western Austria. In 1959, its holding capacity was enlarged by means of an impressive dam.
Mountain peaks, rugged rocks, but also soft green pastures surround the lake. When the sun is out, the crystal-clear water emanates a wonderful turquoise gleam.
- The point of departure of this day trip is the Bludenz railway station. You can easily reach this station from the towns in the Montafon valley, Klostertal, Lech am Arlberg and the towns in the Rheintal valley: Bregenz, Dornbirn, Hohenems and Feldkirch. There are connections every half hour or more frequently.
- From Bludenz, the Landbus no. 81 (Bludenz – Bürs – Bürserberg – Brand – Lünersee-Talstation) takes you to the valley station of the cable car for the Lünersee lake. All departure times listed here (2022 schedules) are suggestions. They are valid every day during the summer season. During this period, there is a shorter interval timetable from the valley station of the Lünerseebahn cable car to Bludenz via Brand.
- The cleVVVer mobil app for Android and iPhone, offered by the Verkehrsverbund Vorarlberg (Vorarlberg Transport Association), is the perfect companion for your trip. See the end of this page for information on downloading it.
- The suggested hike starts at the mountain station of the Lünerseebahn cable car. We recommend that you take hiking gear and ankle-high hiking boots for your walk around the Lünersee lake.
- Cost: if you are arriving from one of the Rheintal valley towns, from the Montafon valley or from Arlberg, we recommend that you purchase a Verkehrsverbund Vorarlberg (Vorarlberg Transport Association) day ticket. This ticket costs €15.40 (children under 6 ride for free, children between 6 and 14 pay half, tariffs valid as of 2021). Add to that the cost of the cable car ride. Owners of the Montafon Guest Card or the Alpenregion Bludenz Guest Card can ride on public transport for free.